Re: DPE and Nomcom [was Re: IETF Attendance by continent]

2010-08-07 17:03:36

On Aug 7, 2010, at 5:35 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 2010-08-08 03:11, Doug Ewell wrote:
Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree dot tv> wrote:

We do have some data on this point - the day pass experiment (DPE) has
shown pretty conclusively IMO that the IETF does not get a lot of
truly local ad-hoc participants. Most day pass attendees appear to be
regular attendees who could only make it to that particular IETF for
one day for whatever reason, not local people who just wanted to
sample an IETF meeting.

It has long been known that IETF meetings have a local attendance
effect. I thought, before the DPE, that this indicated a potentially
large number of observers, presumably interested, but not interested
enough to travel long distances due to the cost and time required for
longer trips. This, to me, suggested that day-passes, at a reduced
rate, would bring out a lot of new people (as the time and financial
burden would be even less). This did not happen, on any of the 3
continents where the DPE has been run.

At least on the surface, this does make it appear that the decision to exclude day-pass attendees from NomCom, on the basis that such attendees
would not have the requisite experience, is driven by financial
considerations after all.

Not at all. Firstly, it's only now that there are even marginally enough
data to analyse the impact of day passes - previously, all we had
was guesswork. Secondly, the argument is quite clear - people who
parachute into an IETF week for one day, for whatever reason, cannot
possibly gain the experience of a full week's participation (for
example, witness the breadth and depth of an AD's work, or properly
understand the interaction of WG meetings, BOFs, Bar BOFs and
corridor discussions). That undermines the whole purpose of measuring
meeting attendance as a Nomcom qualification.

I agree. Note also that the number of day passes per meeting has been so small that the financial effect of
the day pass experiment is literally in the noise at present.

Regards
Marshall

  Brian