Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-07 10:11:40
Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree dot tv> wrote:

We do have some data on this point - the day pass experiment (DPE) has shown pretty conclusively IMO that the IETF does not get a lot of truly local ad-hoc participants. Most day pass attendees appear to be regular attendees who could only make it to that particular IETF for one day for whatever reason, not local people who just wanted to sample an IETF meeting.

It has long been known that IETF meetings have a local attendance effect. I thought, before the DPE, that this indicated a potentially large number of observers, presumably interested, but not interested enough to travel long distances due to the cost and time required for longer trips. This, to me, suggested that day-passes, at a reduced rate, would bring out a lot of new people (as the time and financial burden would be even less). This did not happen, on any of the 3 continents where the DPE has been run.

At least on the surface, this does make it appear that the decision to exclude day-pass attendees from NomCom, on the basis that such attendees would not have the requisite experience, is driven by financial considerations after all.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­