RE: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-09 03:23:09
Agreed. On several evening, the 20 minute walk into the city centre or back
provided a refreshing opportunity to talk to somebody whom otherwise I might
hardly have spoken to.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Mark Nottingham
Sent: 09 August 2010 01:42
To: Michael StJohns
Cc: Bob Hinden; IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: IETF Attendance by continent

Just to give a counterpoint, Maastricht was incredibly
productive. Perhaps you didn't see clusters of people at the
conference centre, but there were plenty of groups going for
walks, going out to dinner, and having interesting discussions.

I don't subscribe to the notion that shutting everyone into a
confererence centre-cum-campus with all amenities onsite (and
a corresponding dearth of other options, e.g. Minneapolis or
Anaheim) is going to lead to higher productivity.

Cheers,