Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-08 13:34:57
Mike,

There sort of was a "central hotel bar" in Maastricht, one which
extended to the outside and one which you pretty much had to walk
by to get to your hotel room --- even if you were not staying at
the NH.

However, on Monday night it became painfully obvious that the
staff was not capable of handling a crowd as large as the IETF
and while things seem to improve the next day and beyond, I think
a lot of folks had given up on the NH hotel by then and scattered all
over town etc. It would have helped of course if the NH had been
bigger, with more rooms and more staff, but that's part of the
tradeoff that had to be made. Amsterdam, in comparison would have
given us a couple of hotels near the convention center and the
rest in town, all costing about $50 per night on average. In
retrospect Amsterdam *may* have been a better choice, for some
value of "better".

The facilities in Hiroshima were not "high capacity" either, but at
least it was somewhat easier to get to nearby restaurants, bars, etc.

We'll certainly factor in all the input for future venue selections
and even explore other models as Bob outlined in his presentation
at the plenary.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj