Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-11 14:06:36
Dear Michael;

On Aug 11, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Michael StJohns wrote:

Marshall -

I would suggest that given you've chosen the location based on the assumption
that Bob's 1/1/1 model is most

The dates are independent of locations, so this does not depend at all on the
model chosen.

To be precise, we have up until now assumed a 3/2/1 model, but it doesn't
matter here.

correct and that its possible that a review of the data relative to more
persistent attendees or more active attendees may suggest a different model,
that you toll closing the "last call" until the data is provided and reviewed
by the community.   E.g. Making a choice based on incorrect or incomplete
data is worse than delaying the choice a few months especially since we're
talking about dates 4-7 years out.

I think that changing the meeting seasons is not trivial, and not something
that I would do causally. There are lots of contingent factors (what other SDOs
schedule their meetings around us, and which might we collide with, how would
Hotel pricing and availability change, etc., etc.), and we might not be aware
of all of them. While you and I might not plan our lives that far out, SDOs and
Hotels and even companies participating in the IETF, do. As it is, making the
advance schedules is some work, but of course, as we assume that things more or
less repeat, we have running code on what issues to look at.

So, if we want to go to a January / May / September cycle starting in 2014, I
think we need to put some due diligence into it, at a higher level of effort
than we did for the existing dates. This is work, and I couldn't recommend
doing it unless there was a solid consensus in favor of at least considering
(if not making) the move.

Regards
Marshall

[My assumption that you've based the choice of locations on the 1/1/1 model
may be incorrect, but seems supported by the presentations and comments]

Mike