Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-08 13:15:33
Hi Bob -

I appreciate and believe that this is your highest priority, but I think we may
differ on how to best accomplish a successful meeting.  Maastricht for me was
an example of the low end of sort of successful sites and that's primarily
because of the conference center with hotels model rather than the opposite
model of a hotel with a conference center.

In Maastricht, there wasn't a central hotel bar, no place to happen upon 3 or 4
disjoint conversations on wide topics, no 11pm discourse on how to fix the
problem that came up in the session earlier that day. No place to buttonhole
Russ or Olaf over a beer after dinner, etc (although they may appreciate that).

A great portion of the IETFs success is due to cross fertilization and
serendipity and that has been fed in the past by having a comfortable place
with drinks and food that you pretty much have to go by to get to your hotel
room. Typically, these have been the most successful (in terms of new ideas and
energy) meetings.

In Maastricht you had that big central room with uncomfortable chairs and
pretty much no reason to be there if you weren't using the internet or weren't
either going to or coming from a WG session.  I saw few random gatherings (but
I admit, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell them from the non-random
ones).  Compare and contrast this with Anaheim for example.  So, Maastricht was
probably fine if you were narrowly focused on your WG(s), but not so great if
you were interested in how the various problems might interact or were
interested in learning about the IETF itself.

It's also possible that I'm waxing philosophical for a portion of IETF culture
than is no longer important to the current crop of participants - but that's
life I guess.

Mike