Re: Why ask for IETF Consensus on a WG document?

2011-06-24 15:48:44
On 06/24/2011 13:14, Keith Moore wrote:
On Jun 24, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

On 06/24/2011 04:35, Keith Moore wrote:
I often get the impression that dissenters are dismissed as "in the
rough" and that their opinions, no matter how well expressed, are
given less weight than those who are in favor.

One could also consider the idea that due to the very human tendency
towards confirmation bias that those who dissent often view that
dissenting opinion as both more important and more popular than a more
objective observer would.

One of the reasons that I believe this document actually does achieve
at least rough consensus is that in the course of the WG discussion
something was achieved that at least in my experience is quite rare in
the IETF, some people actually changed their opinions as a result of
the discussion. To me that indicates that the concepts discussed were
carefully considered (the concerns raised in the IETF LC being a
subset of those discussed in the WG) and ultimately the right decision
was reached. Of course, it could also be argued that I'm suffering
from confirmation bias since I agree with the decisions reached, as
far as they go.

I've been reviewing the WGLC comments. I haven't finished doing so yet,
but so far my impression is that the discussion was both thorough and
well-organized.

You might want to go further back in the archives than just the LC. There was quite a bit of discussion on both drafts.

Of course, consensus within v6ops is not the same thing as
community-wide consensus, and the latter is what is required for a
standards action.

I'll leave that discussion to the process experts.

Doug

                        -- OK Go