Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-11 19:41:13
On 4/11/2013 1:38 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
Suggesting that simply diversity stats across all IETF participants can help
to deduce anything about leadership diversity bias is ignoring qualification
and availability of candidates. Thats why i proposed the questions i would
like to see
in a questionaire.

You don't really need a questionnaire to go to that.
Nominations are a crude metric but they're a metric
nevertheless, and it would be an interesting exercise
to see how the pool of people recommended represents
(or not) the overall pool of people who've accepted
their nominations.

However.  The question that would answer (approximately)
is whether or not there's bias in the nomcom process.

My own feeling is that if we were to find that the
numbers supported the notion that there's bias
present in the system we probably couldn't do anything
about it without tearing the organization apart, so,
we live with bias, and trying to identify whether or
not there's bias in the nomcom process would be something
along the general lines of opening the gates of hell
and we'd probably be better off not knowing for sure.

But I digress.  It seems to me that it might be more
useful to identify what it is you're trying to find out,
first, and in this case I'm really not sure why Ray asked
that particular question.

Melinda