Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-12 18:13:45

"James" == James Polk <jmpolk(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
    James> The nomcom isn't randomly picking hats in a crowd. They are
    James> picking talent of those that have volunteered to serve. At

Volunteered, and who have employer/funding support.

The apparent bias that we are experiencing is the result of 30+ years of
high-tech employment bias towards the white male.  To be a qualified
candidate requires a bunch of things:
(and I mean "qualified" in both the qualities of the person, and the
 various supports needed to do the job)

1) working for a moderate to large company for a sufficiently long time
   such that the company can spare the salary.
   (Or being sufficiently well connected that the person can find sponsorship)

2) being able to travel for a week+ at a time.

3) having been able to do (2) for enough years to have met enough people
   that the person's qualifications have been recognized.

and of course:
4) doing actual technical work!

that's some serious hurdles.  There a bias here towards older people who
have been in the same company for a long time, and who either have no
children, or had them at least ten years ago.

Having a child (and I didn't do the hard work), restricted my ability to
travel sufficiently that I wasn't nomcom eligible for 5 years....

True, we have had people overcome hurdles: at least one IESG baby is
expected this year, and we didn't even have a parental leave policy
until Lisa wrote one.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [