Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-13 07:10:39
Melinda,
        I'm not so sure debating the merits of a specific measure has value or
not is really that helpful, and I probably just should have ignore this
small point.  Let's say some limited measure of diversity is valid, what
do we learn from it?  Is the conclusion that only one group is being
discriminated against and that the IETF needs to address this one
specific form of discrimination, or is it that the top of the IETF is
far from diverse?  If the latter, I buy it -- the IETF has a diversity
issue.

As many others have said, there are many forms of bias and
discrimination -- all of which are harmful, and only some of which have
the legal protection (in your favorite country) that they should.
Irrespective of any specific statistic, I think this discussion has
shown that there is consensus that working to eliminate bias and
discrimination *in all forms* from the IETF is worth paying attention
to.  Do you disagree, are you saying that the IETF should only/first try
to address only gender bias?

I personally think all IETF participants should have voice in this
discussion, no matter if they fall into an obviously discriminated
against group or not.  This includes the full range of participants,
even newcomers, folks who have never authored an I-D, folks who by any
measure are significant I* contributors, and even "western white guys".
IMO the exclusion of any voice is itself a manifestation of bias.

Lou