Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-14 03:13:59
On 13/04/2013 17:15, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, April 12, 2013 23:37 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com> wrote:

The only lesson I really learned from that experience is that
it is incredibly hard for women[1] to be treated as adult
colleagues in an environment that acts overwhelmingly as a
white male club.

JJ Thompson, Grace Anscomb, etc., notwithstanding.  Similarly,
Grace Hopper, Jean Sammet, Jane Thompson, Martha Steenstrup,
Deborah Estrin, Sally Floyd, etc.

That doesn't change your point other than to identify a
different fallacy in the "girl-philosophy" hypothesis and its
computer science / networking analogies.   If you haven't heard
of some of the above, it demonstrations a slightly different
point.   It may also suggest that there is an area in which the
IETF is absolutely non-discriminatory: there is no evidence
that the IETF has been any more effective in driving, e.g.,
Martha or Deborah out than with Crowcroft, Elz, Clark, Chapin,

And I'm not sure about the driving "out" rather than driving *on*
to bigger and better things. Also, speaking from personal
observation over the last 12 months in Cambridge (the original one),
at least one of those you mentioned is leading a very lively
research group including several active IETF contributors.

   Brian