Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 00:18:34

On May 23, 2013, at 10:04 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson
<swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se>
 wrote:

On Thu, 23 May 2013, Jorge Amodio wrote:

One thing that could help is if some companies like Cisco, Google, Juniper,
etc, with presence in the region start sponsoring some individuals that have
been participating or are interested to participate at IETF so they can have
more time and financial resources.

My take on this is that it would be a good start if someone (not limited to
the list above, ICANN for instance?) could do more "marketing" for IETF,
perhaps identifying universities with courses that cater towards network
engineering, making sure they know how Internet standards are developed and
how to participate.

Where is a good "executive summary" to give to upper management, outlining
why they should dedicate resources towards participating in the IETF?

I think some of them might tell you they already do. If nothing else, they
contribute to ISOC, which in turn sends Fellows. They donate equipment, host
meetings, and oh-by-the-way send scads of people. And they contribute to ISOC
in other ways too.

BTW, we happen to be working with a university that I shall not name (the MOU
isn't signed off yet) located in a southern hemisphere continent on a
university course in networking or network engineering or some such.