Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 09:11:30

On 5/24/13 3:05 AM, SM wrote:
  "Just meeting in some place does not bring too many new participants,
   at least not in a lasting manner.  But combined with some other actions,
   this may be possible.  Are there specific companies or research teams
that
   we could reach out to, and who might want to be involved in the IETF?

   Are there local events where where it would be useful to have someone
   from the IETF give a talk?

        There are regional events such as LACNOG (once a year), LACNIC (twice a
year), LACTLD (one large meeting a year and some other workshops during
the year), CLARA (the academic network has different events to different
people -academic, CIO/CTOs, networks tech people), CITEL (goverments),
Caribbean events (CARIBNOG, CANTO, LACNIC Caribbean), etc.

        If needed, I could get places, dates and contact information of the
organizers.

   Are there specific IETF or IRTF efforts where we could get more people
   from South America involved?

        Initially talks during these events would work. They do not have to be
made by people traveling from other regions, in some cases local or
regional people could help.

        Also I would add that being there and making the effort of traveling it
would be good to organize some talks in local universities.

   Should the ISOC fellows program target something different than it has
   so far, or be scaled up? Other ideas?"

        ISOC fellows have done a great job, now it may be time to empower the
program where we could foster new IETF participants (not only bring them
to the IETF) by encouraging/train/prepare them to participate in the
mailing lists by reviewing and writing drafts.

Regards,
as