Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-28 18:15:45
On 5/28/13 11:56 AM, Christian O'Flaherty wrote:
It would seem likely when the participation is heaviliy biased towards
equipment vendors and software tooling that the participants would be more
representative of where the concentration of the development sideo of that
work occurs.
This is true, but this is also something where active participants can
help. Many of those companies also have R&D groups in Latam but
unfortunately they're not yet active in the IETF. This is probably for
historical reasons but it's feasible to change. If you know in your
companies, groups or individuals valuable enough to work in the IETF
please reach them and help them (or let me know and I'll do it).
$former_dayjob had a R&D office in manaus. We have active kernel/gtk/qt development going on there with real contributors. It is however an isolated kind of strange tax haven in the middle of the amazon and it's kind of hard to get to.
Comparative advantage isn't just the domain of agricultural
products, extractive industries, and low-cost manufacturing. That seems
likely to be part and parcel of the diversity discussion.
Latam is not just agriculture and cows :-)
I am within about 10 minutes driving distance of maybe 1/3 the world's ethernet switch asic design capacity, so to ignore the fact that concetration and specialization does occur is a little short sighted, it also changes over time when the basis for advantage no longer applies, or erodes).