Re: When to adopt a WG I-D

2013-05-29 12:52:35
On 5/29/2013 7:42 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
Yes, to some - especially newbies who don't know the process. Except
that's exactly whom you're trying to reach.

Consider yourself a newbie who has been told that the TAO gives all the
informal information on how the IETF works.

OK. So your premise is that someone has been given seriously flawed guidance and based on that we need to fear their misunderstanding of things?

As a rule, the analytic template "somebody somewhere said something wrong or critical or otherwise problematic..." is a very, very poor basis for making policy.

For any interesting topic and any possible misstatement or criticism, there is certain to be someone, somewhere that suffers from having heard or said it.

Unless your view is that we must never do anything, let's instead try to look at the merits of what exists and how it is seen by reasonable people who are being reasonable, rather than make policy decisions on the hypothetical of a stray distortion.

There's a lot of nuance here,

There is no nuance at all in this document.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking