Re: When to adopt a WG I-D

2013-05-28 12:43:40
On 5/28/2013 10:22 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
In reading through the draft, particularly the section on questions for
WG adoption of a draft, I did not see the questions I consider most
pertinent:

I appreciate Dave and Adrian for producing this helpful start, and I'm mostly comfortable with where this conversation has gone since Adrian asked for feedback on this list.

I wanted specifically to echo Joel's suggestions for additional questions.

Does the WG think this is a reasonable (preferably good) basis for
starting to work collectively on the deliverable?

I read this as "is this stable enough for a working group to work on it, or might we still want to tell some small number of people to go off in a corner and try again to produce something that IS a reasonable basis?"

I agree. To the extent that a working group really does control the contents of a working group draft, if the working group doesn't agree that the draft is a reasonable basis, making consensus calls about massive rewrites seems more painful than we are hoping for.

Another question many WGs have found useful is:
Are there enough people interested and willing to write and / or review
the document?

Exactly. We should work on working group drafts. If a working group doesn't have the resources and willingness to work on the document, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to adopt it as a draft that's being officially ignored by the working group :-)

Spencer