Re: (DMARC) Why mailing lists are only sort of special

2014-04-16 18:26:21
Replying to two in one. They're sorta related.

On 4/16/14 7:58 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

It's clear to me that we need at least a non-WG mailing list for this
*technical* discussion.

Yeah, we are starting to move into solution space, which needs to be discussed in a specific technical forum. I'll try to keep it short.

so, what you are saying is that based upon the (SMTP) To: address, the sender
needs a signal that this is a mailing list, and some way to react.
Maybe this could be combined with various SMTP DANE mechanisms, or at least,
maybe "Additional RR" could return that kind of information.

The originator (well, more to the point, the originator's mail server) doesn't need a signal that it's a mailing list; it's simply that the destination makes an "if I forward the mail, I'll be including this" piece of data available, and the originator's server can then include that in the signature of the message. I was thinking this could be in some special kind of DMARC (or whatever) record that lived in the mailing list's domain and could be queried by the originator's server.

Running code.  we need someone to fund and participate in an experiment.
  (cf: other thread about not participating in SDOs anymore)

Bah. I do need to respond in that other thread, but I've become more sanguine about standardization after Vidya's article: I agree with a good deal of what she says, and I think she's categorized the problem correctly. Her having done that, I now see paths forward. More on the other thread.