RE: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

2014-06-24 23:28:48
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote :
So lets stop asking ISPs 'do you support IPv6' and instead ask 'Is your
Internet service 32 bit or 128'?

Creative. Since freeIPv6porn.com this is the definitely one of the best
marketing attempts that I can remember.

However, I would be concerned that deciders who would be tempted by that
pick-up line had been earlier adopters of 64-bit OS and found 64-bit drivers
for their existing peripherals (or the lack, thereof) disturbing.

OS upgrades from 8 to 16 bit, 16 to 32 and 32 to 64 versions have all been
painful; all of them left some scars. I'm afraid that the current mindset is
that it is urgent to wait, both to let the other guy sweat the unavoidable bugs
out, and to see if the upgrade is worth the money.

Dangerous move, but worth a shot at it. IPv6 does not have many shots left.

Actually IPv6 is a 64 bit Internet, not 128 bits.

Better to forget that and try to sell it as 128 bits, as nobody else has been
burned but that number yet.

Ted Lemon wrote :
I wonder if this will be the big debate about whether or not IPv6
will get deployed that actually comes to a conclusion everybody can accept.
It's got to happen one of these days... ;)

I have been waiting on the sidelines for that day for a long time. However, one
two or three more years more won't make a difference; please consider having a
nice "Plan B" ready when that day does come; making it come earlier than the
market is ripe for is a waste of energy.

Michel.