Re: The P in NAPT != Privacy was Re: Time to move beyond the 32 bit Internet.

2014-06-25 04:58:19
On 06/25/2014 07:55 AM, Brian Trammell wrote:

Network address translation is simply an expedient technique to
tease a few more bits out of the address space by hiding those bits
in transient state kept along the path. The assumption that it is
somehow hard to store or reconstruct that transient state is simply
incorrect.

As a method for protecting privacy, NAT is privacy theater, full
stop.

I'd go a step further. Given that address translation needs things like
CGN, STUN, uPnP and portforwarding to get the most basic of things
working, I think the whole picture gives you less privacy and security
than a completely untranslated end-to-end world does.

BTW, now that Microsoft is finally feeling some actual pain due to a
lack of new addresses in their azure cloud, perhaps there is some hope
that some big parties are finally starting to move.

BTW2, tbh i think calling it 32 vs 64/128 bits 'internet' will make it
even more confusing. I'd prefer something like 'ye olde obsolete
adressing'.

Jelte