Re: Vacation locations

2014-08-22 23:08:06
On 8/22/2014 12:16 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
The IETF has in recent times
tried hard to become more "inclusive" and friendlier to those who
participate (ref: the "diversity" discussion)

In terms of attending our f2f meetings, we've done a few, nice things
that are largely superficial.

However we also tend to some things that are strategically problematic.

Going to a venue that is remote from nearly all attendees does not
promote diverse participation.

Going to a venue that has no lower-priced hotels/motels nearby -- making
such facilities inconvenient -- does not promote diverse participation.

Going to a venue that has limited resources nearby -- poor range of
restaurants and especially poor food shopping choices -- does not
promote diverse participation.

None of these things promote diversity, because they impose significant
barriers to attendance.  In fact they are the opposite of making it
easier for folk with limited budgets and time to attend.

Finding suitable venues for a group as large
as the IETF with its long list of requirements is NOT an easy task.

Actually that is not at all true.  It's quite easy.  We've done it many
times.

What is difficult is insisting that we roam around and find /new/ places.

In other words, we set some higher-priority requirements that go beyond
the basic one of adequate facilities in a few places in the world.

These other requirements are not at all essential to the IETF's mission,
yet we continue to declare them essential.  The result is that IETF
meetings are primarily tailored to well-funded participants with plenty
of time for travel.

d/
--
Dave Crocker