Re: Vacation locations (was: Re: [Recentattendees] Were You Planning a Vacation Around IETF91 Trip?)

2014-08-25 08:52:30
I’m responding this thread a bit late, because… erm… I was on vacation :-)

First, I understand what prompted John’s initial e-mail on this topic. And I
agreed that we need to be careful when we speak about our meetings and
associated events and options offered by hotel or anyone else. However, in this
case I think you reacted on something that in reality was a detail. And looking
at industry and academia events in general, I generally think that IETF events
come with less material from the local tourist bureau, organised tours, and the
like. And that’s a good thing. Lets keep it that way, it is not our business.
But I do not mind some information about tourist attractions, hotel stay
extensions, spouse activities, and the like being available.

I also wanted to assure everyone that neither the IAOC or the meeting committee
makes meeting site selections based on their vacation preferences. Of course
not. We take our task very seriously, and try to do what is best for the IETF.
[And if we didn’t, I can also assure you that we’d be meeting far more often
where there is less sunshine and more snow :-) ]

The IETF is in a mode where we do want diversity to be taken into account in
how we conduct our business. We are changing our meeting locations to some
extent, but I do want to point out that there are or will be quite many repeat
visits. Vancouver (modern day Minneapolis?), Paris, Praque, Berlin, … we like
going back to these places because we’ve had good experience in them. Anyway, I
do not want to emphasise the role of diversity and change too much for the
meetings. It is a tiny aspect of the overall situation. Engaging new people and
doing work that matters to the Internet and the industry is key. I’ve seen
positive things, including many members of our leadership being willing to be
involved in various around-the-world events (incl. a recent retreat).

Finally, finding good meeting sites that satisfy all requirements is not easy.
I wouldn’t mind someone walking up to the IAOC right now and letting us know
how to arrange a meeting in Asia with all the cost, sponsorship, and other
components solved for us :-)

Jari