Re: on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

2014-11-11 12:40:06
Andrew,

On 2014-11-11 19:23, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 06:51:38PM +0100, Loa Andersson wrote:
Why do we place our meetings at places where it takes ridiculously long
time to not have your visa approved on time!

Because we are meeting in a physical location on Earth, where there
are countries and sovereign governments, and we are not a government
activity, and our participants come from all over the world?
Moreover, we're trying to hold the meeting in a place that is
convenient for at least some of the participants, and in a location
with lots of good connectivity to the rest of the Internet.

Even if the vagaries of all the different countries' pairwise
arrangements were not a consideration at the outset, we plan our
meeting locations years in advance, and politcal developments in
coutries that cause immigration policy changes are not something we
can hold constant.  Ask a Canadian to explain why visas are required
for those travelling on a Czech or Mexican passport, for instance.

Best regards,

point is that if peple don't get visas we do not meet some of our key
people at all

/Loa