on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

2014-11-07 17:43:14

Adrian Farrel <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
    > Reasonable, from the IETF perspective, has to mean "early enough that
    > most people who have to apply for visas through the normal system will
    > stand a good chance of getting a visa in time."

    > Do we know what that time line is?  No.  Do we know that 3 months is
    > not enough for the USA for *this* meeting? Yes.

I said the following at the mic about a year ago, but I'll say it again.

The VISA situation is really rather a monkey wrench into the nomcom process.
Exotic locations for November are also an issue for the nomcom process.
I think that Xing Li is the first CN representation on the I*, and for
him to have an issue, and when he is up for renewal is, in my opinion,
a big deal.

My message to the IAOC is simple: November meetings need to be stable.
Innovate and do outreach during the other meetings of the cycle.  Many
have argued for picking a small number of locations and going back
regularly.
I will re-iterate this, and say: please start with the November meeting.

If I needed a VISA to get to Hawaii (I don't... I sit at gate E80 in YVR, on
the US side of customs... easiest crossing yet I think), and it hadn't
arrived by Oct. 1, I would have had to cancel because the bump in airfare
would have been a major problem.

Do airlines give full refunds if you don't get a VISA, I doubt it.  I suspect
that some airlines won't even book a ticket until you have a visa; I also
know that some countries' won't even issue a visa until you have a ticket...

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-