Re: on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

2014-11-11 13:30:49
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 07:39:42PM +0100, Loa Andersson wrote:
point is that if peple don't get visas we do not meet some of our key
people at all

Sure, which is why we move around.  The current state of affairs is
admittedly quite bad in that we've had a series of nominally
Asia-Pacific meetings which have included "Vancouver" as being in the
Asia-Pacific.  The IAOC has, I think, discussed this in broad terms
without specifying the details (since those were subject to NDA
because they were part of negotiations).  In the broadest term, we've
the problem that we announce our meeting dates way in advance without
already having a venue in hand, which means that in a negotiation we
have a weak hand.  Apparently, that has turned out to be a problem in
the A-P region.  I note we're going to Japan in 2015.

At every meeting there is some case about people not being able to get
there, which is certainly a problem.  But I find it vexing how this
always causes an _ad hoc_ chorus heave into existence to say, "Why
don't we just?"

What one wants is a weeklong meeting of you and 1000 of your closest
friends with dates fixed several years in advance and with a wide
range of constraints as to affordability, ease of attendance for a
very wide array of people, unusual requirements like "minimise trains"
and "only use plastic water bottles", slightly more usual requirements
like "range of foodstuffs" and "ample availability of significant
quantities of drink with quiet-enough places for 30 people to discuss
something nobody else could possibly care about", and no barriers to
entry for anyone.  I'm not sure we're going to be able to engineer
that solution here on this list.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com