Re: on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

2014-11-11 18:07:24
'Tis true that Canadian immigration can be unfriendly.  One time they
were upset that I didn't have my return trip ticket with me.  The
agent was upset and thought I might like to stay there (well, it was
Vancouver!).  I tried explaining that, y'know, tickets are electronic
now, but it didn't work; I decided not to say anything about the
uselessness of a bit of thin cardboard with some text printed on it
that the fellow wasn't going to double check and that anyone could
print.  Some things are best left unsaid.

In the end the agent decided -evidently- that I wasn't worth the
trouble, and after some hemming and hawing he accepted my printed
itinerary and let me through.

I'd advise travelers to get their return tickets printed, but I've had
such requests refused by gate agents in the past.  I'm guessing by now
the immigration services have enough access to airline booking data
that it no longer matters.

But yeah, immigration can be no fun.  Still, I think cruise ships must
be less fun still...

Nico