Re: on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

2014-11-11 22:10:11

Nico Williams <nico(_at_)cryptonector(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > 'Tis true that Canadian immigration can be unfriendly.  One time they
    > were upset that I didn't have my return trip ticket with me.  The agent
    > was upset and thought I might like to stay there (well, it was
    > Vancouver!).  I tried explaining that, y'know, tickets are electronic
    > now, but it didn't work; I decided not to say anything about the

I had the same thing once from a US customs agent.
And then she said that she didn't want to see it on my computer (I hadn't
offered, and I doubt I had a copy on the computer rather than, "in the
cloud").

It does regularly remind me that these people are trained in security
threatre, and they likely wouldn't recognize a fake boarding pass.
One might think it's all a ruse to trip you up... but... I'm doubtful.

    > In the end the agent decided -evidently- that I wasn't worth the
    > trouble, and after some hemming and hawing he accepted my printed
    > itinerary and let me through.

    > I'd advise travelers to get their return tickets printed, but I've had
    > such requests refused by gate agents in the past.  I'm guessing by now
    > the immigration services have enough access to airline booking data
    > that it no longer matters.

You'd think so... and how does the return ticket force you to show up at the
airport?  And should they be more suspicious if you have a full-fare return
ticket?  (i.e. so you can just cash it in...)

    > But yeah, immigration can be no fun.  Still, I think cruise ships must
    > be less fun still...

the latency through the satellite link would suck...

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [