Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-09 12:15:46
Hi, Andrew

I don't think the IETF should boycott locations just because the community
doesn't like some of the laws of that country or aspects of that countries
governments policies‎.  That is a very slippery slope that could
significantly reduce the number of possible meeting locations and also
distract from the IETF mission.

I generally agree with this. However:

Having been to Singapore once before I am certain there are no room police
patrolling the hotel corridors trying to ascertain what activities the guests
are up to in their own rooms. There were also no personal questions asked at
hotel registration as far as I recall ( I am sure I would have remembered
that) so I don't see it as an especially hostile environment.‎ I think the
IETF should confirm with the meeting hotels that there will be no issues in
that regard and also a check with the Singapore authorities that there will
be no threat to IETF participants because of their orientation or marital
status would be a sensible measure.

I’m sure they didn’t ask *you* any questions. But you might have gotten some
response if you tried to check in with another man into a room that had just
one bed.  I’m not saying that you would. I don’t know, having never been in
Singapore, but I can understand that it would be a concern.

Yoav