Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-09 12:31:06
On 4/9/16 9:15 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
I’m sure they didn’t ask *you* any questions. But you might have gotten
some response if you tried to check in with another man into a room that
had just one bed.  I’m not saying that you would. I don’t know, having
never been in Singapore, but I can understand that it would be a concern.

I was discussing this a little bit with my partner this morning
and she pointed out that in many cases where we would find the
laws ridiculous, those laws are not actually enforceable (for
example, French laws against women wearing pants).  The problem
with the situation in Singapore is that the laws that are on
the books appear to be quite enforceable, with the Singapore
Supreme Court having upheld laws banning consensual same-sex
relationships as recently as late 2014 (one of the plaintiffs
had been arrested in 2010).

To the extent that these laws appears to be enforceable and
that there is uncertainty about whether or not some of our
participants are likely to run into issues with public
accommodation, etc., I'm grateful that the IAOC is treating
this as a serious issue.

Melinda