Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 00:22:04
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Margaret Cullen
<margaretw42(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I understand that this is a very difficult situation, but I think you have
left something important out of your list of pros and cons.  If we cancel
the Singapore meeting, we get to say _this_ to the Singapore government,
who wants us to meet there enough that they have offered us $150K in
incentives for us to come there:

“    Singapore laws against same-sex relationships between men and
   preventing the recognition of same-sex marriages could create
   difficulties for same-sex partners and their children; these have
   discouraged affected members of our community from participating
   at the IETF meeting in November of 2017 and have also influenced
   others to decline to attend in principled solidarity with them.

   Accordingly, the IETF has decided to postpone indefinitely the meeting
   in Singapore and is pursuing alternative venues.”

If, instead, we hold this milestone meeting in Singapore despite the fact
that these issues have been raised, we are sending the message that we
consider basic human rights violations to be no more of a disincentive to
visiting a particular venue than visa issues, cost considerations, or other
items that have been raised in this discussion as examples of why “no venue
is perfect”.

That's a fair point. So in case of cancellation, one more gain is Singapore
Government's taking on this say in addition to not compromising some of our
community members' right. The cost of getting to say this is still hotel
cancellation loss, potential incentive loss, potentially not having an Asia
meeting, plus extra human resources working on a new venue. In the end, the
community has to weigh cost vs. gain and make a very difficult decision.

Margaret