Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-26 02:02:54
Hi Margaret,

Although sending such a message is very attractive, I don't think we should be
making decisions about the meeting location based upon what message we send;
the world is full of countries that abuse human rights, and we meet in many of
them regularly. Many of us even live in them.

If the IETF meeting location is determined on that basis, we'll end up with a)
a very small pool of potential locations, and b) lots of arguments about what
is "acceptable abuse." There's also the unintended side effect of the message
we send to other countries if we start discriminating in this way -- that their
abuse is acceptable to us.

I think the focus on how the restrictions affect our community directly is a
better way to go. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

On 26 May 2016, at 9:09 AM, Margaret Cullen