Re: [Recentattendees] Background on Singapore go/no go for IETF 100

2016-05-25 20:37:43
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Margaret Cullen
<margaretw42(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

we get to say _this_ to the Singapore government, who wants us to meet
there enough that they have offered us $150K in incentives for us to come
there:

“    Singapore laws against same-sex relationships between men and
   preventing the recognition of same-sex marriages could create
   difficulties for same-sex partners and their children

Where was this discussion held? I don't recall it here on the IETF list.

In addition to the obvious impact on future venue selection, which I assume
has already been debated (Are we going to have to stop holding IETFs in
Asia for a few years? What does that mean for IETF participants who live in
Asia? etc.) I would assume there are other local practices such as free
speech or unfettered Internet access that the IETF might want to take a
stand on. How do we decide which ones those are?

As a community-driven organization, we make most decisions via community
process (e.g., we make technical decisions via rough consensus). Should we
be working on putting together such a process to make this sort of decision?

It seems bad to make this sort of decision on an ad-hoc, case-by-case basis
as appears to be happening here.