Re: [Nmh-workers] multiple folders to rcvstore

2005-11-08 15:42:12
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:10:20 +1100, Joel Reicher said:

I follow this up by making a proposal for slocal: add the PID to the
environment. That way some information can be shared across rules, and
still be specific to a particular message delivery.

This might be useful, but a more general solution would be better. Some peopl
invoke rcvstore and other MH commands directly from a .procmailrc (Yeah, I'd
use slocal, if somebody wants to re-write my 600+ line long .procmailrc :)

One of the things that is so good about MH is that each command typically
does one job, and no more. This is very UNIX. refile takes an existing
message and refiles it, and because the message already exists it can
use links. rcvstore and inc store a message that does not yet exist in
the MH system.

Giving rcvstore this linking ability will have it do two jobs. You can't
really link to a message that doesn't exist yet. This makes me nervous,
which is why I'm digging my heels in, perhaps a bit irrationally. While
there's no obvious technical barrier to doing it, breaking philosophies
often causes problems further down the track.

BTW, if you like the simple pattern matching syntax of slocal, you can
always invoke it from procmail, i.e. have procmail do the things only
procmail can do, and then call slocal with a variety of -file args
to do the rest.

Cheers,

        - Joel