Re: [Nmh-workers] Features for 1.6

2013-10-17 12:48:28
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
   > Well, _if_ someone is following RFC 3676 properly, we're actually
   > pretty good on reply.  That text is something we can generally deal
   > with.

Sadly, they aren't.
We also, to make this useful, have to detect what outlook, thunderbird
and (now) Apple Mail are doing that *isn't* format=flowed, and pretend
that it is.  That's 99% of what is coming at us, and I really want to turn
it around as format=flowed.

Okay, let me speak to that.

Right now we don't do automatic text reflow for _display_.  That seems pretty
straightforward; doing that shouldn't be hard.  Right?  Right.

Of course, we want to deal with _replies_ as well.  If you're using
replyfilter, then actually I think we handle that pretty well (there are
things that could be fixed).  If you're not using replyfilter, then why
not? :-)  But anyway, that's mostly a kinda-mostly-solved problem.

What I'm saying is that maybe this is a front-end problem, and that the
draft should already be in that format.  I'm sure that exmh and emacs can
arrange that.

I don't think exmh can really arrange that easily.  I don't think the built-in
sedit editor does that, and I personally use vi(m) with exmh and like I said,
how that works isn't obvious.

Also ... it requires some sophistication in knowing what you're sending.
Me, I'm used to creating paragraphs of plain text, and it would be easy to
screw up the formatting, especially if I happen to reformat it.  It just
seems like it would be too hard.  Let me put it this way; if it was easy,
why aren't people be doing it now?