Re: [Nmh-workers] Features for 1.6

2013-10-18 10:23:37

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
    >> Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote: > Well, _if_ someone is
    >> following RFC 3676 properly, we're actually > pretty good on reply.
    >> That text is something we can generally deal > with.
    >>
    >> Sadly, they aren't.  We also, to make this useful, have to detect what
    >> outlook, thunderbird and (now) Apple Mail are doing that *isn't*
    >> format=flowed, and pretend that it is.  That's 99% of what is coming
    >> at us, and I really want to turn it around as format=flowed.

    > Okay, let me speak to that.

    > Right now we don't do automatic text reflow for _display_.  That seems
    > pretty straightforward; doing that shouldn't be hard.  Right?  Right.

Well.
I use mh-e, so it's really not, for me, MH's problem.
What I would prefer is an MH-level filter that transforms format=fakeflowed
into real format=flowed.  (I would really like that filter to stick in front
of mailman too..).  So the stuff on disk would be format=flowed!!!

Of course, we have to keep the original pieces around so that we can verify
signatures, etc.  Once I start throwing that in, the problem isn't so easy,
I think.  Starting to store messages a parts in a directory is a can of
worms none of us wants to open... but...

    > Of course, we want to deal with _replies_ as well.  If you're using
    > replyfilter, then actually I think we handle that pretty well (there
    > are things that could be fixed).  If you're not using replyfilter, then
    > why not? :-) But anyway, that's mostly a kinda-mostly-solved problem.

Not sure if I'm using replyfilter.

    >> What I'm saying is that maybe this is a front-end problem, and that
    >> the draft should already be in that format.  I'm sure that exmh and
    >> emacs can arrange that.

    > I don't think exmh can really arrange that easily.  I don't think the
    > built-in sedit editor does that, and I personally use vi(m) with exmh
    > and like I said, how that works isn't obvious.

    > Also ... it requires some sophistication in knowing what you're
    > sending.  Me, I'm used to creating paragraphs of plain text, and it
    > would be easy to screw up the formatting, especially if I happen to
    > reformat it.  It just seems like it would be too hard.  Let me put it
    > this way; if it was easy, why aren't people be doing it now?

everyone else is afraid to do something that would confuse outlook users.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [