Re: A nice spam service

1997-07-28 19:05:00
At 08:31 PM 7/28/97 -0400, Tom Deering wrote:
On 7/28/97, greg(_at_)cosmicflyer(_dot_)com wrote:
[snip - spam]

I enjoy reading this list, but one of the reasons I use procmail is to
filter out junk mail.   When it comes from the list, it gets past my
filters.

You might consider having a pre- and post- list spam filter - the pre-list
filter would catch known spam (either from spam domains, or because of
certain header characteristics), then you'd filter on lists, then do your
other spam filtering as you do currently (since it is obviously AFTER the
list).

Doesn't FIX the problem entirely, but *I* certainly don't trust that
CyberPromo, etc. will have any legit reason to post to a listserv.

Do people subscribe just to post spam?  WTF?

No, as a matter of fact, to POST to this list, you don't even need to be
subscribed to it.  I feel this is a problem, but apparently it isn't
considered a big enough one to FIX it.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395