Re: A nice spam service

1997-07-28 22:25:00
At 10:32 PM 7/28/97 -0400, Roderick Schertler wrote thusly:

No, as a matter of fact, to POST to this list, you don't even need to
be subscribed to it.  I feel this is a problem, but apparently it
isn't considered a big enough one to FIX it.

This comes up all the time, on this and many other lists.  There is no
good solution to the problem because many people who read and participate
are not subscribed to the list.

Just in case you missed it there in my .sig - I specifically request NOT to
be copied on things sent to the list.  I'm one of those people who already
gets the messages ON the list, so I don't need them OFF of it as well.

Now, I realize that some people may use the various available archives for
monitoring the list, however I don't agree that such a mechanism should be
encouraged for participation - I don't see the problem with saying to post
to the list you need to be subscribed to it.  The people who self-help by
rummaging through the archives don't need to post if they find something,
and those which do, well, they should subscribe.

If need be, why not have an alternate submission address which
non-subscribers can use to post into the list?  This alternate address
could perform rigorous SPAM testing, and if it passes, forward it on into
the regular list address as if it were coming from a subscribed user.
Then, the list could be set for subscriber only submissions.

Plus, the VERIFY USER VIA EMAIL feature in newer listservs is really useful
- if you attempt to subscribe to the list, it'll email you at the address
being subscribed, to verify you want to be added.  If you don't respond
(the email has a coded transaction number) within a certain timeframe, the
subscription is cancelled.  No bogus subscription to an account just to
fill it with mail, no subscribe to the list to submit a spam (too much work
- AND the spam would have to come from an identifyable address).  Perhaps
upgrading the listserv would be a good thing too?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395