Re: A nice spam service

1997-07-29 10:14:00
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:09:32 -0700, lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering - Lists account) said:

Just in case you missed it there in my .sig - I specifically request
NOT to be copied on things sent to the list.

Yes, I did miss it in your sig.  I don't read people's signatures.  I
copy people by default because the mailing list I use most
(perl5-porters) encourages this as standard practice (it speeds up the
conversation between the interested parties, yet allows everyone else to
follow along).

If you don't like getting duplicates why not just fix the problem for
yourself?  Drop duplicates on your end and they will never bother you
again.

Now, I realize that some people may use the various available archives
for monitoring the list, however I don't agree that such a mechanism
should be encouraged for participation - [...]

That's just one of many ways that someone who isn't subscribed to a list
can nonetheless be a participant.  Eg, I'm not subscribed to the list,
yet I read all the messages and occasionally post.  Most of the mailing
lists people at my site read are subscribed to by the site itself and
gatewayed into local news groups.  This saves disk space and processor
cycles.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick(_at_)argon(_dot_)org