Re: Spammer-slammer algorithm

1997-10-25 05:52:50
On Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:54:11 -0400, Walter Dnes
<waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Thursday, October 23, 1997 03:56, era eriksson
[SMTP:era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi]
wrote:
Of course, you could save a lot of aggravation by rejecting
SMTP connects from these slime domains.
  I'm an end-user with a popmail client, not the sysop at my ISP.
Another problem is that lawyers for the spammers would probably
jump all over that.  The reason that CIS, AOL, etc, defeated the

Wish them luck. It's your mailbox. I don't buy this for a minute. Have
you talked to your ISP about this?

decided to filter email against the customer's wishes.

If I were an ISP, I would bet that enough customers will want to have
their accounts as spam-free as possible, and that I can cope with one
or two customers (two!? In Sanford's dreams maybe) would leave because
of this policy.

This is all becoming off-topic for the Procmail list. A lot of the
stuff that's been going on on this list lately would fit better on
e.g. spamtools(_at_)abuse(_dot_)net IMHO (especially the reverse DNS ideas) or
spam-l(_at_)peach(_dot_)ease(_dot_)lsoft(_dot_)com (this stuff about whether
it's okay for an
ISP to filter their customers' mail) -- perhaps we could move there?

/* era */

(Not to mention the vitriol about Reply-Tos lately. I'm not sure if
there are dedicated mailing lists for such bickering but could we
please have it moved off +this+ list nevertheless?)

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>