Re: Catching this list's mail

2002-02-05 13:00:48
At 14:25 2002-02-05 -0500, Charlie Summers did say:
<snip>

Star light, star bright, where the hell are you tonight?

Seems nobody can be bothered to do even a minimal amount of their own footwork these days, doesn't it? Some folk won't even TRY suggested recipes which would lead them to their own solutions: apparently teaching a man to fish isn't in vogue with these people - they expect you to catch the fish for them, clean it, and grill it with imported herbs. Anything less is an offence to their sensibilities.

  Besides, I don't care _what_ recipe you use...my only point is that ANY
recipe designed to filter mail should use as unique a field as possible to
avoid false positives (specifically targeted at Mr. Dunford's "^TO_procmail"
recipe).

Sender is generally a good header to use, and is fairly consistent across many types of mailing lists. Here's what I use:

:0
* ^Sender: procmail-admin(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de
{
        # a copy recipe to add a mailbox header which I use on retrieved mail.
        #[snip]

        # archive this copy
        :0:
        |gzip -9fc>>$MAILDIR/procmail.gz
}

# Then ditch carbons and the like sent by twits who insist on copying
# the previous poster AND the list.  I could toss these, but every so often
# I rummage through the cc_list and see who the twits are.
# NOTE: this also tosses messages which are CROSSPOSTED to multiple lists,
# which just happen to include procmail.  This isn't a concern I have - if it
# freaks you, you might want to run this sort of recipe AFTER you've filtered
# ALL of your lists.
:0:$TEMP/cc_list$LOCKEXT
*
^TO(procmail(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de|procmail-users(_at_)procmail\(_dot_)org)