Re: changing headers upon forwarding

2003-09-09 12:53:47
At 19:56 2003-09-09 +0100, Nancy McGough did say:

and in my setup, when there is a problem at account2, the reject
message goes to me(_at_)account1 but I actually want the reject
message to go to senderX. It seems that you and I should exchange
systems!

Might I suggest that you search the archives for a short thread with the subject "Need to replace sender's email address" from last October. That should probably address Nancy's needs.

As for Nikolaus, either of the following two approaches may be appropriate (which conveniently avoid the second account actually needing to BOUNCE anything since the messages will be held by account1 until the host at account2 retrieves them):

If account1 isn't otherwise used to store mail, then depositing them in a (pop/imap) mailbox there (basically $DEFAULT) and using fetchmail might be a better solution - then the system at the far end obviously needs to be up in order to retrieve the mail, and depending upon the fetchmail config, that system doesn't necessarily need to be running the MTA at the time and can directly inject them to the procmail config at the far end.

Alternatley, you could deposit messages into mailbox files (within the user dir, not system mailspools) at account1, and have a cron-invoked shell script at account2 run ssh to move (copy & delete) the file to account2 and then invoke formail/procmail against it.

While the formail and cron approaches will maintain the original Sender data, at that point it might be a bit moot, since the message should have actually ARRIVED at your destination mail server and not actually had an opportunity to bounce if the connection was down.

But seriously, it seems odd to me that your account2 is sending
the reject message all the way back to senderX. Do you have any
control over the account2 system? Do you know what SMTP server
it's using and how it is configured? I am wondering if the
account2 system is using something other than the envelope to
determine where the reject messages go. If so, that is a problem!

Most definatley, but if account2 isn't reachable, then it may be MTA of account1 that is generating the bounces. Additionally, if directed to the original sender, they're going to see the account2 address.