Re: changing headers upon forwarding

2003-09-09 13:20:27
Nancy McGough wrote:

I actually want the reject message to go to senderX.

May I ask why? Usually that's the wrong thing to do. SenderX never wrote to account2 and won't understand why [s]he's getting a bounce for account2's unreachability, and the person at account1 won't find out that there's anything wrong so that [s]he can shut off the forwarding or direct it somewhere else or fix the problem at account2. So what's different that you want the rejection sent to senderX?

But seriously, it seems odd to me that your account2 is sending
the reject message all the way back to senderX.

Two possibilities:

1. account2's MTA is misconfigured and sends NDNs to From: or Reply-To:.

2. account1 is not rewriting the envelope sender, and account2 is not rejecting in the SMTP transaction but rather accepting the message and then bouncing it after initial acceptance.