Re: changing headers upon forwarding

2003-09-10 11:01:24
Hello,

Replying to the digested list is yuck!! :)

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:12:54 -0500
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: changing headers upon forwarding

Nancy McGough wrote:

But seriously, it seems odd to me that your account2 is sending
the reject message all the way back to senderX.

Two possibilities:

1. account2's MTA is misconfigured and sends NDNs to From: or Reply-To:.

2. account1 is not rewriting the envelope sender, and account2 is not
rejecting in the SMTP transaction but rather accepting the message and
then bouncing it after initial acceptance.

Until now I have been using the "classical" method:
:0 c
! name(_at_)account2(_dot_)com

But then it happened ... account2 was down and sent a notification to the
senders. I checked now whether account1, where I am doing the forwarding,
modifies the Return-Path: header, and it does not. It leaves the address
of the originating sender in it.

That's what I need to change. :) Can I modify the "Return-Path:" header
with formail?

--
CU, Nick
*Draft beer, not people*