Re: changing headers upon forwarding

2003-09-10 14:25:22
At 12:56 2003-09-10 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> :0c
> | formail -i "Return-Path: somewhere" | $SENDMAIL account2 -f account1

That'll change the return-path as seen by $SENDMAIL, but it won't change
the return-path seen by the recipient at account2.

(Aside:  Shouldn't that be "$SENDMAIL -f account1 account2" ?)

My mistake - however, it was correct in my original reply to this thread, which seems to have been ignored by the inquiring party. Assuming that there's some issue with his implementation of $SENDMAIL not doing things properly, I offer up tweaking the header via formail before passing the message for forwarding.

Final note: Depending on the configuration and on what user is forwarding,
using -f may cause sendmail to insert an X-Authentication-Warning: header
showing the address it would have used as the envelope sender if -f had
not been given.

.. which is the address of account1 (or the account which hosts it, if there are multiple addresses dumping into one user account there). Of course, since the tweaks are intended to make mail bounce to account1, and not to their original sender, that's probably not a big deal, is it? <g>