Re: changing headers upon forwarding

2003-09-10 13:03:07
Nikolaus followed up,

Until now I have been using the "classical" method:
:0 c
! name(_at_)account2(_dot_)com

That should do exactly what you want: it should be replacing the envelope sender and return path with account1.

But then it happened ... account2 was down and sent a notification to the
senders.

Then either $SENDMAIL on account1.com points to something that acts like rmail, or account2.com is bouncing to From: instead of Return-Path:.

I checked now whether account1, where I am doing the forwarding,
modifies the Return-Path: header, and it does not. It leaves the address
of the originating sender in it.

That's what I need to change. :) Can I modify the "Return-Path:" header
with formail?

Yes, but that may not help. The bounce goes to the envelope sender, and the Return-Path: header echoes the envelope sender, but the bouncing system isn't going to look there for it; it will look at the MAIL FROM: line of the SMTP dialogue.

Does this help?

 :0c
 ! -f $LOGNAME name(_at_)account2(_dot_)com