Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 06:19:12
Chris Drake wrote:

Yes - kindof - I want the "right" to operate an email service that
exists between senders and recipients.  Anyone who wants the right to
run their own SMTP server (eg: to avoid ISP mail delays) also fits in
my category.  We do all have the right+permission to use our
respective email addresses though.

You have the right and permission to use addresses under domains that you own via your own server (or paid-for server service).

Your rights and permissions for using an ISP-provided address are dictated by the ISP.

Sender authentication should be done in the client - not in the ISP.

The disadvantage of doing it that way is wasted bandwidth - the forged messages need to be sent to your client.

I do fully agree with you that it would be ideal for your ISP to allow you to turn SPF filtering on or off on a per-address basis. If your ISP ends up enforcing SPF on all users, find a different ISP that does what you want.

Stopping SPF adoption is not the solution to your concerns. SPF is clearly a good thing to implement, but it is the flexibility of the implementation that will make or break it for you.

--
Mark.
mark(_at_)tranchant(_dot_)plus(_dot_)com