Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 05:37:59
On Tuesday 13 January 2004 11:56 am, Chris Drake wrote:
I hate spam, but just like 99% of all other business email users, I
can *never* afford to loose even as much as *one* email - EVER.

I strongly object to you guys forcing my ISP to trash my incoming
email without my permission.  I VERY strongly object to you guys
forcing my recipients ISP to trash my incoming emails without my
permission.

The problem you are worried about is one that exists with current anti-spam
solutions that accept mail and then trash it without either delivering it or
generating a proper bouce. SPF will _fix_ that problem.

With SPF deployed, there should _never_ be an instance where mail is accepted
by an MTA and subsequently 'silently swallowed'.

SPF will enable the orginal SMTP principle of 'reliability is paramount' to
actually become common practice once again.

BTW, I entirely and strongly agree with your point that swallowing any mail
after acceptance without generating a proper failure notice is totally
unacceptable.

- Dan