Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 06:01:36
On Tuesday 13 January 2004 12:38 pm, Chris Drake wrote:
Hi Alex,

No - you misunderstand - the recipient ISP follows the policy of the
ISP identified in the envelope; this is not me (and it may or may not
even be my own ISP), and they may or (usually) may not list me in
their SPF system (especially not as I run my own outgoing mail server,
but I digress).

You are correct, this part is not fully backward-compatible with SMTP. Are you
not able to put your own domain in the return-path? It generally will not
affect the user experience, since MUA's display the header 'from' field to
the user, not the return-path.

It is not "I" who block mail from others - its my ISP - and it is
beyond my control whether or not they do this, which is why I hate SPF
so much!  I cannot afford ever to loose even just 1 email.  Why is
this so hard for everyone to understand?

Your ISP can choose how or whether to implement it.

If they do not implement it at all, your mail will be unaffected. There is no
peer-pressure to adopt SPF at your MTA, though there will most likely be peer
pressure to publish SPF records.

Your ISP can implement it in such a way as to switch it on or off per mailbox,
if that is their wish.

If they do not implement it in a manner which satisfies you, your problem is
with them, not SPF.

I can NEVER afford for my sent emails to get trashed without my
knowledge.

Neither can I, and I look forward to a world in which such things stop
happening. SPF is the way to get there.

My remarks are not foolish - your assumption that everyone runs their
own mail server and therefore can easily add SPF records, and can
easily get all recipients to add SPF records for them is the foolish
remark here!

Recipients and mail servers do not publish SPF records. Only domain owners do.

It is not unreasonable to expect domain owners to be able to publish DNS
records.

If SPF records are not published, it is not the end of the world. Receiving
MTA's should simply fall back to their current (non-SPF) behaviour.

- Dan