Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 05:38:47
Chris Drake wrote:
Finally, I run a (pay only, non-spam) personal remailler service which
legitimately maintains the real senders address (and due to MDN/DSN
standards, must maintain it in the envelope as well as other areas).
You SPF idea has the potential to (A) Destroy my legitimate business,

The advent of the automobile destroyed the need for horse stables in cities. That the nature of innovation, out with the old, in with the new.

along with everyone else who operates anything similar, and (B) Puts
me at legal risk due to my customer emails not reaching their intended
recipients due to your SPF foolishness.  Should I ever get sued, I will
be forced to try and recover costs from someplace - either the
recipient ISP, or the SPF software authors (the latter being the most
likely, since the ISP will hide behind that excuse or risk criminal
prosecution as well).

Trying to sue the authors of SPF software or the designers of the SPF standard, would be the equivalent of trying to sue weapon manufactures for murder.

In the end its the ISP's choice to use or not use whatever tools and protocols they deam fit to solve a problem. Spam is a problem. SPF is working towards making that problem go away with a good idea. If SPF works well enough, more ISPs will choose to adopt it.

And while I'm on the topic - what is the point of SPF??? - connecting
to the senders MX server and VRFY: or RCPT TO: should solve most

VRFY is disabled in almost all SMTP server software, because it can be used to harvest addresses. There exists SMTP callback software that can do some thing like VRFY, but the technique does not scale well for large ISPs like AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ: 7116561         AIM: Sir Wumpus

"...simplicity is a goal of good design,
                     it is never the starting point." - Dan Geer