Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 06:27:26
Chris Drake wrote:

At least *try* to understand my point if you're going to call me a
"ranter".

Your "point" is clearly based on a total misunderstanding of SPF; thus trying to "understand" it would require that I forget everything I know about the standard. Which I don't think I'll be doing.

in the shoes of a business email user instead of someone who doesn't
treat email as a serious tool.

That's an enormous, not to mention totally incorrect, assumption.

Your SPF idea is something that ISPs *are* going to use to block
emails without sender and recipient permission - you can avoid the
blame if you want, but it's *you* that is arming them with more tools
to destroy the usefulness of email.  And you know perfectly well that
SMTP level blocking is going to be either "on" or "off" for 90%+ of
ISPs that implement it, so users will not get a choice to avoid this.

Have you sued messagelabs on this basis? Spamassassin? Microsoft? AOL? Hotmail? All of them make spam-blokcing tools.

You should be working on a standard that USERS can ALWAYS opt out of.

Users are free to choose their ISP. There will always be ISPs that opt out of SPF, just as there are ISPs that refuse to block the sending of spam from their servers.

You wrote "SPF was initially proposed by a remailer service."

So you *did* actually read what I posted? I note then that this is the only point which you've managed to coherently pick up on, so I will take the rest of what I've said as valid.

> ... well,
go on then: explain to me step-by-step how this "remailer service" is
going to allow me to send my email from my hotmail.com address to
someone whos ISP uses SPF? Oh yes - and in case it needed saying,
lets pretend that Microsoft refuse to list your remaillers IP address
in any of their DNS servers...

This has nothing to do with Microsoft. The SPF records relevant here are those of hotmail. Do please read, and attempt to understand, the specification of the protocol that you're attempting to attack.

Kind Regards,

Your pretended civility does nothing to excuse your complete inaccuracy. Equally, if you wish to be treated seriously in this forum, don't come in with all legal guns blazing away (with blank rounds), and kindly don't top post.

You will, of course, excuse me if I fail to waste my time by responding to any futher post you make that shows such a complete misunderstanding or aggressive attitude.

Despairingly yours,
        Wechsler