Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 12:04:38
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:52:39PM +1100, Chris Drake wrote:

| What point am I missing?  Lets say my ISP uses SPF, and someone sends
| me an email outside their ISP's spf-enabled SMTP service.  That's my
| email that got blocked by SPF (yes - blocked - go read all the faq's -
| they all end up directing you to SMTP rules like "REJECT"!)

Let's say you get pissed off at your ISP for using SPF and blocking the
mail that is coming from places the domain owner says it should not.
Let's say you switch to another ISP that does not use SPF, or allows
you to designate remailer client servers to bypass SPF for (if you
have signed up for remailing service, you know who they are by their
domain name).  Or maybe you get so fed up because they won't provide
the kind of services you need that you change to another ISP or even
start your own.

Let's say you do these things.  Whoa!  Problem solved, dude!

| Besides that, the FAQs admit that spammers will get around this by
| using discardable domains etc, so what's the point? That's what the
| spammers will do. Nothing solved.

It will be a lot easier to block the spammers, even with discardable
domains (we just have to respond faster), because we won't have to worry
about any LOST EMAIL due to such blocking.  We cannot afford to lose
legitimate email, and SPF is enabling us to block spammers without so
many such loses.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |